Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sept. 24-- Evening Class in Review

Opening Dialog:

A:  Hey!  What's up?    B.  Not much   The weather is terrible, isn't it?  A.  Yes, it is.  I hate the rain.

C:  The weather is terrible, isn't it?  D:  Not for me.  I love the rain!

We often use negative-sounding  (isn't/aren't/don't) "tag questions" to ask for confirmation or agreement.  You're in my English class, aren't you?   (Yes, I am) Answer tags just like a positive question.

Are you reading the class blog?  Yes, I am.
You're reading the blog, aren't you?  Yes, I am.
Are you at school right now?  No, I'm not.
You're at school right now, aren't you?  No, I'm not.

Make tags with the contraction of the negative form.  Do not separate.
don't you?  do not you
aren't you?  are not you
isn't he?  is not he

Practice Vocabulary

Tonight we worked on goals.

Many students want to improve their speaking.  We'll talk a lot in this class.

"

Our second biggest group wants to practice reading.

Most students worked on dictations in pairs.  Most of you did a tremendously good job on those.
We also asked each other questions to play BINGO.

In BINGO, when we asked about something finished in the past, we asked with "Did you...." (past tense)
When we asked about preferences and habits, we asked with "Do you... (present tense)





If you keep practicing, you'll be speaking really well really fast.  Chase those small goals!!



No comments:

Post a Comment