Saturday, July 23, 2016

Cultural Differences between men and women -- what is your opinion?

Last morning class, I gave you a paper that had some suggestions for small talk.  This extremely fast video from "The Art of Manliness" has some good advice for starting conversations that should work for women too.  Also in that morning class, Peter said that men like to solve problems, but women just want to listen and empathize.  That reminded me of this video:

"It's not about the nail"

Is it true that men want to solve problems, but women prefer to talk about them?

Last evening class, I got worried about my plan to talk about feelings and romance when I realized that most of my students were men.  I thought about the stereotype that women love to talk about feelings and romance, but men don't.  Do you think that stereotype is true?  If it's true, why are there so many male psychologists?

Another student said that many mothers in her country are sexist and treat sons better than daughters.
Sheryl Wudunn--a speaker for TedTalks-- says that rural poor people mistreating their daughters because they are girls is the biggest social problem in the 21st century.

Whenever I think about sexism and culture, I think of this cartoon -- a bikini and.a burka

I also didn't know how to answer when a student asked me if women clean their houses here.  Many women do, but I'm not sure how time and techniques would compare with her culture.

Do men and women have different routines?  These filmmakers show their different days in the USA.
Can you describe their routines?  What are the differences?


Do you think men and women act differently here?  How?



No comments:

Post a Comment