Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Who moves up?

Everyone takes a reading test, but I'm not supposed to "teach to" that test, and it's only one factor in whether you move up.  Since many people take different tests, I can't really teach to the CASAS reading test anyway.

 I want my students to succeed, and I will move you up if I think you will be okay in high intermediate.  I assess students at the end of the term on their levels in listening, speaking, and writing. The CASAS test you take will place you in reading.  If you meet many of the exit standards higher than the level of my class, you move up.

Some things on the list:

--The student initiates conversations in English
--The student asks questions when he or she doesn't understand
--The student uses present continuous, simple past, future, and simple present verbs correctly
--The student follows class instructions.  The student can observe and figure out what to do even when he or she doesn't understand every word of the instructions


I usually keep students in my level when
-- listening is really hard.  If you have trouble following directions in my class, I won't move you up.
-- the reading level is below high intermediate.
-- they are frequently speaking their native language during class -- if you feel you need translation in my class, you don't need a harder class
--they often seem disengaged or miss most of the classes.  People who don't understand don't like to participate.  If you don't participate, I will think you probably don't understand.

I'm sorry this video doesn't have subtitles yet...


Are you moving up, but grammar is really a problem?  Please Do these exercises and tell me if they work for you

No comments:

Post a Comment